Top DD-WRT FAQs
How does DD-WRT compare to my router's stock firmware?
Manufacturers develop routers with non-technical users in mind, making them simple and easy to use while limiting their effectiveness as a web-access gateway. DD-WRT transforms a personal-class router with limited functionality into a powerful, multi-use, business-class router. With DD-WRT, a router's enterprise potential can be unlocked at a home user's price.
What benefits does DD-WRT bring to my network?
Benefits range from superior network stability/performance to being able to encrypt your entire network by tunneling all traffic through a VPN connection, as well as the ability to create completely multiple segmented WiFi networks and much, much more. Users also appreciate the peace of mind that comes from a community-vetted-and-tested firmware that is being consistently updated and upgraded, and removes frustrating bugs as well as potential backdoors.
How does DD-WRT compare to other popular router firmware?
DD-WRT has been impressing users since its inception in 2005, and is the go-to alternative router firmware due to its longevity of existence and support of the largest array of devices. Consequently, DD-WRT can claim the largest community of users. It's the backbone of what we do here at FlashRouters. Our team selects high-performance wireless router hardware and supercharges, or "flashes", it with DD-WRT for it to become the best possible version of itself.
Does DD-WRT support OpenVPN and PPTP?
Yes. OpenVPN and PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) are two different protocols for logging into VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) in order to secure your identity and encrypt your connection.
OpenVPN is a full-featured SSL VPN solution which can accommodate a wide range of configurations. Those include home, office, and campus telecommuting, Road Warrior access, WiFi security, secure branch office linking, and more.
PPTP is another method for implementing VPNs. PPTP uses a control channel over TCP and a GRE tunnel operating to encapsulate PPP Packets. The intended use of this protocol is to provide additional levels of security and remote access for VPN products.
Where Does the Name DD-WRT Come From?
DD-WRT branched off Sveasoft's work once they began to start charging for their firmware, releasing its first version in early 2005. Part of the name of that initial router, the WRT (Wireless Receiver/Transmitter) was merged with DD, the German automobile license plate code for Dresden, home of the project's founder BrainSlayer.
The project was successful enough that DD-WRT has become the basis for other firmware created by router manufacturers themselves.
What are the advanced features and benefits of DD-WRT?
- Router firmware backdoors, bugs & fixes
- Improved Network Stability & Network Information
- Advanced Wireless Modes: Access Point (AP), wireless client bridge & repeater modes
- VLAN (Virtual LAN) Support
- Adjustable Antenna Transmission Settings – Increase wireless strength and coverage
- Policy-Based Routing – Choose segments of Internet activity based on website, device, wireless network, etc.
- OpenVPN, PPTP, & L2TP VPN Client/Server Integration
- Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service integration
- SPI Firewall/ IP Tables
- IPV6 Support
- Advanced Port Forwarding – Create port forwards, redirects, & triggers with included UPnP (Universal Plug and Play).
- Access Restrictions – Custom time, website, app & user-based restrictions
- DNS forwarder – DNSmasq with local hostnames, domain names, and internet address caching
- Bandwidth Graphing/Statistics: Real-time, daily & monthly
- DHCP Server – Using DNSmasq with dynamic and static DHCP leases
- WPS Disabled
- Wi-Fi hotspot Integrations: Create hotspots for businesses with a verification page using the integrated Chillispot or NOCATSPLASH system
- Wake-on-LAN – Remote network access
- Samba file-share/CIFS client
- WDS: Wireless distribution system AKA wireless bridging
- Telnet/SSH Support
- Radius Authentication: Enterprise-level wireless security
- JFFS2 Support
- NAT (Network Address Translation) support