Netgear R7000 Nighthawk TomatoUSB
Our goal at FlashRouters is to offer a healthy mix of open-source firmware upgraded DD-WRT and TomatoUSB routers. Our method of choosing devices is always based on performance and functionality in long-term testing. Lately, that seems to have leaned heavily towards DD-WRT.
However, after months of requests, we are finally giving the people what they want — a high-powered Wireless-AC Tomato router!
Meet The Netgear R7000 Nighthawk TomatoUSB FlashRouter
That’s right. The much beloved DD-WRT Nighthawk now has a Tomato counterpart. The Netgear R7000 Nighthawk TomatoUSB AC1900 FlashRouter has launched to revolutionize your network control using its superpower, a special release of TomatoUSB open-source firmware.
Tomato Firmware Upgrade
As the brief video above showcases, upgrading or “flashing” a router with Tomato firmware heavily expands it features, integrations and setup option including:
- Bug & backdoor fixes in Broadcom-based Netgear firmware.
- Complete OpenVPN & PPTP Integration: Client & Server.
- Multiple OpenVPN Connection Setup: TomatoUSB firmware allows for two VPN connection configurations within the router. Only one VPN connection can be used at a time but two can be saved for switching back and forth connections with ease.
- Advanced access restrictions for increased network security: Limit access by day of the week, time, user, or block specific websites.
- Advanced QoS: Prioritize your network traffic with advanced Quality of Service. Stream a lot of Netflix? Put it at the top of your list.
- Integrated Wireless Survey page: View other wireless networks in your area that may be affecting your WiFi signal and adjust accordingly.
- Improved network stability.
And that’s just the beginning. We haven’t even gotten into all the terrific new VPN features that R7000 Tomato ARM upgrade enables.
Terrific Tomato VPN Features
FlashRouters has worked with Shibby (the lead developer of TomatoUSB) as part of our ongoing Open Source Donation Matching program to overhaul the VPN integration on Tomato. With the new Tomato ARM builds, TomatoUSB users can now enjoy the benefits of Dual Gateways AKA selecting VPN use by website and device with a few clicks of a button.
Dual Gateway Support
Integrated in the aforementioned Dual OpenVPN client setup in TomatoUSB, you will now see the just added Routing Policy tab. This may seem like a simple change but this is a game-changer that many of our TomatoUSB users have begged for.
Select VPN By Device
Put your Tomato router in two locations at once with dual gateway support. If you want certain devices on your network to run through the VPN and others to run through your local network, that can now be done within the Tomato OpenVPN firmware settings.
Routing Policy/Selective VPN By Website
And if that doesn’t wow you, how about this? Using the To Domain option, you can now set specific websites to go through VPN, while any other websites you visit will connect through your local ISP IP address. Want Netflix Instant to run through your VPN while keeping the rest of your web-browsing local? Using the new Tomato build, enter Netflix underneath you VPN connection and you’re good to go.
Since this is set up on a router, it will apply to all of your devices. Want to make sure BBC iPlayer is running through the UK on your iPad and your Roku? Done. Netflix US from Canada or Australia while your other activities stay local? This is the solution!
Advanced TomatoUSB Setup Support
Worried this looks a bit over your head or think you might need a helping hand with the latest R7000 Tomato build? That’s why we’re here!
Each R7000 Nighthawk TomatoUSB includes a complete tutorial guide of the array of options and possibilities with this new Dual Gateway/Selective VPN Routing feature.
Need help about setting up static routes to your specific devices for devices or websites to go through VPN? FlashRouters support team now covers these features with Tomato ARM FlashRouter. As of now these special OpenVPN features are limited to the R7000 Nighthawk.
R7000 Nighthawk Features & Specs
So what exactly makes the R7000 so popular? Let’s start here:
- Best-in-class Dual Core 1 GHz (1000 MHz) Broadcom CPU, 256 RAM/ 128 MB Flash Memory
- 4 Gigabit Ports, AC1900 (450 2.4 Mbps & 1450 5.0 Mbps)
- 3 Powerful external antennas
- 1 USB 3.0 & 1 USB 2.0
The R7000 is the our best-selling router because it has power and speed to burn. This power and speed is ideal for handling the burden of a more feature heavy firmware as well as the power needs of handling constant incoming/outgoing VPN activity. Add to this an amazing security enhancing, firmware upgrade and you have an ideal network centerpiece to prevent intrusion and privacy invasions for years to come. What more could you want out of a wireless router?
The FlashRouter Difference
A FlashRouter makes the process of getting your new device up and running as simple as can be imagined. The TomatoUSB FlashRouter R7000 Nighthawk arrives pre-installed, tested, and re-tested Tomato firmware build.
- Custom VPN Configuration: Include your preferred router & VPN setup options in the order checkout Comments area and we’ll take caintegrate it for free.
- TomatoUSB Firmware Setup & Troubleshooting Manual
- Free Open-Source Firmware Tech Support: Our skilled open-source router specialists can assist in getting your Internet or VPN setup running via remote Teamviewer support sessions.
- Tomato Warranty: Tomato firmware installation voids manufacturer warranties. All FlashRouters include an 90-day warranty for Tomato installation that is upgradable to 2 years.
- International Dual Voltage Compatible (100v – 240v): Ships with U.S. power cable, international adapters available here.
- Worldwide Shipping via USPS & FedEx.
If you have any questions, concerns or are just looking for a recommendation on the best device for you and your setup, take a look at our knowledge base or just send us a note. Our router specialists are ready to answer your questions and help you choose the right device.
Keep up with all the latest wireless router security news and updates with our Twitter and Facebook.