Perhaps you’ve heard about Wireless-AC – that hot wireless networking standard that has been dazzling users with its incredible speeds – and decided the time has come to bolster your own network. Maybe you looked up some Wireless-AC routers and noticed that the prices are a little on the steep side.
FlashRouters to the rescue! Having introduced you to one of our most affordable, high-performing Wireless-AC DD-WRT routers, we thought it was time you met its Tomato firmware counterpart. Ladies and gentlemen, we present the Asus AC56U Wireless-AC1200 Tomato FlashRouter.
Meet the Asus AC56U Wireless-AC Tomato FlashRouter
That’s right: for a mere $229.95, you can get yourself a router flashed with one of the best replacement firmwares available, supported by the fastest wireless networking standard, and ready to be secured by any VPN on our official supported provider list.
The Asus AC56U truly is a dynamo of a router, and a steal at twice the price. With four powerful external antennae, a heavy-duty 800 MHz Broadcom processor, and a blindingly fast data transfer rate (1200 Mbps), this is easily one of the best deals you’re going to find for a Wireless-AC router anywhere.
Dual Gateway Support AKA The VPN Splitter
Aside from everything listed above (and to come), the Asus AC56U Tomato FlashRouter offers Dual Gateway Support, which means that the process of deciding which of your internet-capable devices you want running through your VPN or your local network just became much easier.
With the help of dual gateway support, you can effectively put your router in two virtual locations at once. Actually, because of Tomato ARM builds, you can even choose which websites you want to run through your VPN (like Netflix Instant, for example), allowing you to avoid arbitrary geographical restrictions and enjoy greater Internet freedom.
The Asus AC56U Tomato FlashRouter Specs
So now you know the broad strokes about the Asus AC56U Tomato FlashRouter. Time to dig into the gritty details…
|Frequency Band(s)||Dual Band (2.4/ 5 GHz)|
|Wireless Data Rates||AC1200 (300+900 Mbps)|
|Wireless Standards||IEEE 802.11 a/c b/g/n|
|Ethernet Port Type||Gigabit (10/100/1000Mbps)|
|Processor Speed||800 MHz|
|RAM/ Flash Memory||256/128 MB|
So you’ve got high-speed data transfer rates, a powerful processor, and all the flash memory you need. The Asus AC56U Tomato FlashRouter is powerful, high-efficiency machine loaded up with the hardware you need to run a flawless wireless network.
The Benefits of a Tomato Firmware Upgrade
As the brief video above explains, no matter how strong the router you purchased, your network’s versatility and reliability is dependent on the right firmware. That’s why we remove the stock firmware on the Asus AC56U and replace it with Tomato firmware: it provides a massive boost to the device’s functionality and adds a wealth of helpful, vital features.
What are some of those features you ask? Well, let’s start with…
- Known bug fixes in Broadcom-based Linksys & Asus firmware.
- Improved Network Stability.
- Integrated Wireless Survey page: View other wireless networks in your area and adjust your network accordingly.
- OpenVPN & PPTP VPN connection options: Create OpenVPN & PPTP servers or client connections.
- Advanced access restrictions for increased network security: Limit access by day of the week, time, user, or block specific websites.
- Advanced QoS: 10 unique QoS classes defined, real-time pie graph display of prioritized traffic with drill-down into class details
- Adjustable Antenna Transmission Settings: Antenna selection with 14 wireless channels available.
There are plenty more premium router features on Tomato that we could discuss, but we don’t want to overwhelm you (that’s a pretty lengthy list up there). Suffice to say, the beauty of Tomato firmware goes beyond an extendable wireless range and advanced security features.
The FlashRouters Difference
Setting up a FlashRouter is easy, but taking advantage of the many features a FlashRouters offer can require a little guidance. We’re only too happy to help out, which is why we offer:
- Custom VPN Configuration: Include your preferred router & VPN setup options in the order checkout Comments area and we’ll take and integrate it for free.
- TomatoUSB Firmware Setup & Troubleshooting Manual.
- Easy Setup with No CD.
- Free Open-Source Firmware Tech Support: Our skilled open-source router specialists can assist in getting your Internet or VPN setup.
- Tomato Warranty: Tomato firmware installation voids manufacturer warranties. All FlashRouters include a warranty for Tomato installation.
- International Dual Voltage Compatible (100v – 240v): Ships with U.S. power cable, international adapters available here.
FlashRouters expert technicians are available and eager to answer questions you may have. Feel free to take a look at our knowledge base or send us a note. Whether you’re curious about which device is right for you or have a question about a FlashRouter you already purchased, we’re here to help.