More big news for cord-cutters, as yet another premium cable channel has made their services available outside of the oppressively expensive realm of cable packages.
Showtime Streaming Service Arrives for Cordcutters
Following the recent trend of services like HBO Now, Showtime has opened up their Showtime Anytime service as an a la carte streaming channel. Previously, Showtime Anytime was only available to cable subscribers but is now available for those who have decided to ditch pricey cable service.
Cord-cutters no longer have to miss great premium TV like Masters of Sex, The Affair, and Homeland plus they get the bingeworthy back catalog of favorites like Dexter, Weeds, and Californication as well as tons of streaming movies.
This seems to indicate that CBS/Viacom (which owns Showtime) is now going well out of their way to accommodate their cord-cutting audience. The trend seems to be moving our way, and we can surely expect other channel-owning companies to make similar services available in short order.
The Basics of Showtime Anytime
Here’s what we know about the Showtime streaming service so far.
- $11 a month (undercutting HBO Now’s $15 a month service)
- Available on Apple TV, Roku, Sony’s Playstation Vue streaming service, and via your internet browser.
- Hulu subscribers get $2 off their monthly subscriptions when signing up for Showtime.
Where is Showtime Available (and How to Stream it from Anywhere)?
Currently, Showtime Anytime is currently limited to viewers in the USA. So if you travel outside the US or have to relocate for work, you will no longer have access to Showtime form your tablet, Roku, Streaming TV etc.
But there is a solution to unblocking Showtime — using a VPN service. Aside from its primary purpose — protecting sensitive online data from malicious activities like hackers, identity thieves, snooping government agencies, and the like — VPNs are particularly useful when it comes to accessing geographically restricted material.
Recommended VPN Providers for Showtime Anytime
A VPN tunnels online data is through encrypted servers set up all over the world, and provides an alternate IP address based where the servers are based. This means your internet-capable device now believes it’s somewhere else, which is useful if, say, you’re not in the US and you want to access Showtime, HBO Now or Netflix USA. No more fear of missing House of Lies, Shamless, plus the newest season of Ray Donovan.
Ready to unleash the power of VPN on your favorite devices? Here are a few of our top recommended supported VPN providers.
- PrivateInternetAccess – Best budget VPN service.
- IPVanish – Keeps adding more & more servers with some of the fastest server speeds worldwide.
- HideMyAss – Top number of servers and IP addresses in US & UK server choices.
Improve Network Security & Performance with a FlashRouter
FlashRouters has a long history of helping cord-cutters with optimizing their wireless network for maximum privacy and accessing the content they desire. A FlashRouter is a surefire way to ensure that your streaming experience is fluid and flawless.
Our team of networking experts take powerful consumer routers and supercharge them by flashing them with DD-WRT and Tomato firmware, allowing users to extend their wireless range and prioritize certain activities on their bandwidth, an incredibly useful tool for those who stream a lot of media.
What’s more, our devices have full VPN integration via OpenVPN and PPTP. Our networking specialists will integrate the VPN provider on the FlashRouter ready so you get a plug and play VPN router connection right out of the box.Plus, you recieve a custom setup guide for your setup and remote assistance via Teamviewer with any purchase if you run into any issues.
With a FlashRouter, it’s one setup to use VPN on Roku, AppleTV and SmartTVs right out of the box. In fact, you can not use VPN on a Roku or AppleTV by default as they do not have that option available. Setting up the VPN within the router automatically shares the VPN connection with your entire network.
Best Routers for Cordcutters & VPN Users
So if you want to be certain that you get the best experience while watching Penny Dreadful or Homeland or Ray Donovan, get yourself a FlashRouter and fast. There are a wide range of devices and it can be a bit intimidating picking the right one, so maybe you should start looking at our best-sellers list, or the best DD-WRT routers of 2015.
- Netgear R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk DDWRT – Our highest powered Netgear router, the Nighthawk has been dominating our best-sellers list since it was introduced last year.
- Asus RT-N66U N900 Dark Knight Tomato WiFi Router – Our most popular Tomato & Wireless-N VPN Router.
- Netgear AC1450 DD-WRT VPN FlashRouter – A networking dynamo and a surefire way to guarantee yourself the most fluid streaming experience.
- Asus RT-AC87U AC2400 DD-WRT FlashRouter – The ultimate Asus networking centerpiece and a quick favorite around the FlashRouters office.
- Linksys E2500 N600 TomatoUSB – An popular dual band device for entry level cordcutters.
Stay updated on all of the latest movie and television streaming options by following us on Twitter and liking us on Facebook.