In these heady days of online gaming, the importance of a strong wireless network cannot be overstated. And at FlashRouters, we’re committed to offering the best routers for gaming, whether you prefer PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or any other system out there.
Today, we’re going to focus on a couple of the earlier incarnations of the Xbox, and tell you just how you can get the most out of your console with the best routers for Xbox and Xbox 360.
How a Router Can Affect the Xbox One/Xbox 360 Experience
As you’re no doubt aware, Xbox 360 is a generation back from the modern console wars, and the original Xbox goes even further back. Nonetheless, some of the major features of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are still available on the Xbox and Xbox 360.
Online gaming and streaming movies & television are notorious bandwidth-hogs, both of which are primary features on the Xbox One and Xbox 360, as well as the original Xbox. So while these devices may not have a sensor attuned to the user’s heartbeat or any of the other eerily dystopian features of the Xbox One, they can still garner much of your network’s attention. And if you want to avoid annoying skips, stalls, and freezes in the middle of an important moment of Titanfall, then you’ll want a router performance and speed that delivers 24/7.
For the more advanced and frustrated users out there, DD-WRT also has integrated VPN connectivity for region restricted gaming, UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), advanced NAT controls, and many more available tweaks & router troubleshooting tips for Xbox.
Best Routers for Xbox One/Xbox 360
So if you’re interested in making your Xbox and Xbox 360 as fluid and flawless as possible, there’s really only one way to go:
If you don’t have a minute (and thirty-six) seconds to spare to watch the brief, explanatory YouTube video up there about FlashRouters, then maybe you can read about it super quickly!
At FlashRouters, our goal is to provide our customers with the most reliable, fast, and powerful routers available anywhere. We consistently achieve that goal by taking some of the best routers on the market, removing their stock firmware, and installing/upgrading to open-source router firmware like DD-WRT and Tomato. These replacement firmware bring more features and more versatility to your wireless network, allowing you to do things you’ve never dreamed of with your router.
Do you want an Xbox or Xbox 360 (or even Xbox One) experience free of aggravating interruptions?
With an upgraded firmware router for your home, you can extend your wireless range, access advanced security options, and even control how your router bandwidth is allocated. Believe us, if you’re going to be gaming and streaming, being able to prioritize those activities in your network is an invaluable resource.
When it comes to FlashRouters, there’s no going wrong. We’ve got devices that cover a wide range of prices and power, but they’re all unified by their demonstrable excellence. You can go searching through our catalog on your own, or even take a look at the top DD-WRT routers for gaming list to find just the right router to suit your particular needs, but we’ve whipped together a list of some of our absolute favorites for the gamer who takes his or her wireless network seriously. Enjoy!
Top Wireless Routers for Xbox
- Asus RT-AC5300 DD-WRT FlashRouter – With 8 powerful external antennas alongside a 1.4 Ghz processor, the RT-AC88U offers a great performance for both wired and wireless connections.
- Netgear R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk DD-WRT FlashRouter – Our most popular Netgear router, and preferred as the top wireless router for gaming.
- Asus RT-AC3200 Tomato FlashRouter – The most powerful FlashRouter: 8 external antennas and a 1.4 GHz processor. With a sleek sense of design and an amazing performance, the RT-AC5300 is the top choice for anyone looking to seriously boost their network.
- Netgear R8000 Wireless-AC3200 DD-WRT FlashRouter – Tri-band Wi-Fi (!) with six external antennae for maximum wireless range? Something tells us your gaming experience will be just fine with this beauty.
- Asus RT-AC56U Tomato WiFi Router – Our top economy Wireless-AC Tomato Router – top recommended wired only option with 800 Mhz processor but no external antennas.
Updated – 3/20/17