Good news for those cord-cutters among you that have thus far been unable to wrangle up someone else’s cable login information in order to get HBO Go (and good news for those of you who love run-on sentences)…
Meet HBO Now
Just in the nick of time, HBO Now is offering an a la carte streaming service that, unlike HBO Go, requires no cable subscription.
Why do we say, “just in the nick of time”? Well, as we assume many of you are aware, Game of Thrones is coming back (on April 12th, to be precise). Surely you’re getting the same invitations to viewing parties as we are.
But that’s not all, Mike Judge’s hilarious Silicon Valley is returning the very same night. Need more incentive? True Detective‘s second season will be gracing our screens on June 21st. So yeah, time is of the essence.
Advantages of HBO Now Streaming Service
So that makes three ways (including Sling TV) you can stream HBO on your Rokus and Apple TVs. Wondering about the more practical details about an HBO Now subscription?
- Password sharing is acceptable, but keep it reasonable. Three simultaneous streams are allowed at once and no more.
- That said, there is no limit to gadget activation, so you can put it on your Roku, tablet, phone, and anything else you’d like, without worry.
- There’s no live stream, so while episodes of original programming arrive on HBO Now exactly when they first air on HBO, live events like boxing tend to show up the following morning. That’s really about it for cons.
There’s a free 30 day trial and membership costs $15 a month. A little pricier than Netflix, but this strikes us as a totally fair deal considering all of the movies and terrific original programming (we haven’t even mentioned The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Last Week with John Oliver, The Jinx, Going Clear (the amazing Scientology documentary etc.) that come with it.
How to Use VPN to Watch HBO Now from Anywhere
Of course, HBO Now isn’t available all over the world, and we recommend that those without access to it avail themselves of a VPN service for unblocking the streaming services they desire.
Aside from their primary purpose (to protect your sensitive online information from malicious actors like snooping government agencies, hackers, identity thieves, and the like), VPN services (or Virtual Private Network services) are particularly useful when it comes to accessing geographically restricted material.
When you log in to your VPN, all of your online data is tunneled through encrypted servers set up all over the world, and you’re provided with a new IP address based where the servers are based. This means your internet-capable device now believes it’s somewhere else, which is useful if, say, you’re not in the US and you want to access HBO Now.
Just pick a US-based server at login and you can stream HBO Now to your heart’s content. No more fear of missing Game of Thrones, Veep, impending season 2 of True Detective, Silicon Valley
Basically, any VPN provider worth their salt will have a ton of US-based servers, and we have a ton of highly recommended supported VPNs on our supported provider list, but here’s a few quick recommendations:
- IPVanish – Keeps adding more & more servers with some of the fastest server speeds worldwide.
- PrivateInternetAccess – Best budget VPN service.
- HideMyAss – Top number of servers and IP addresses in US & UK server choices.
- PureVPN – Budget yearly pricing under $50 + huge server location list.
- ExpressVPN –Based in the British Virgin Islands, with servers in 75+ countries across the globe,
Best Routers for HBO Now Streaming & VPN
That’s a pretty brief video up there, but on the off chance you didn’t take the time to watch it, we’ll explain:
A FlashRouter is the cure for sluggish wireless, an absolute dose of adrenaline right when your network needs it. We take already powerful devices and supercharge them by removing their stock firmware and flashing them with DD-WRT & Tomato firmware. These replacement firmwares boost the speed, power, and versatility of the router, allowing the user to take advantage of all manner of special features.
Access advanced security options, increase your wireless range, and manage the allocation of your bandwidth with incredible ease, thanks to a FlashRouter. And while any router on our line is worthy of your attention, here are some prime choices to ensure the highest quality HBO Now streaming experience:
- Netgear R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk DD-WRT FlashRouter – Our highest powered Netgear router, the Nighthawk has been dominating our best-sellers list since it was introduced last year.
- Linksys WRT3200ACM DD-WRT FlashRouter – The 1.8 GHz Dual-Core ARM processor in the WRT3200ACM is also one of the first FlashRouters to use a Marvell chipset.
- Netgear R7800 Wireless-AC DD-WRT FlashRouter – extreme WiFi speed for gaming—up to 2.53 Gbps via 160MHz bandwidth to further reduce lag. The dual-core 1.7GHz processor boosts WiFi, wired & WAN-to-LAN performance,
- Asus RT-AC56U Wireless-AC1200 DD-WRT FlashRouter – The ultimate Asus networking centerpiece and a quick favorite around the FlashRouters office.
- Asus RT-N66U N900 Dark Knight Tomato WiFi Router – Our most popular Tomato & Wireless-N VPN Router.