2013: what a news filled year for privacy, security, and the expansion of connectivity in our daily lives.
At this point, we’re sure you’re sick of post-mortems about last year; we understand, and we are too. Nonetheless, we’d be remiss if we didn’t briefly reminisce about the banner year 2013 was for FlashRouters: we greatly improved our line with a steady stream of powerful and fast router additions, integrated homegrown videos into our repertoire, and added VPN after VPN to our official supported provider list. Everything just clicked for us.
So while you probably don’t need anymore best-of lists clogging up your browser, we thought it necessary to highlight some of the top DD-WRT & Tomato VPN routers and VPN service providers that helped us make 2013 such a memorable one for us.
The Benefits of a DD-WRT or Tomato Firmware Upgrade
Of course, we wouldn’t miss an opportunity to tell you about what we do to make our routers are so great. It’s right there in our title.
Every router we sell is flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware, replacement firmwares that boost every router’s functionality. With DD-WRT and Tomato, a whole world of advanced options open up for the user, such as premium security features, extendable wireless range, and the ability to control the allocation of one’s bandwidth.
Let’s not forget all this:
- Built-in OpenVPN, PPTP, & L2TP Settings which allows you to utilize your VPN subscription with multiple devices as well as popular streaming players like Rokus while saving you the trouble of installing the VPN connection on each single device!
- Dual WAN and 3g/4G USb Failover options.
- Major security holes removed like WDS and manufacturer backdoors.
- Advanced Networking Modes for WDS, Repeaters & Client Bridges.
- Advanced QoS (Quality of Service) which lets you take over the process of allocating your bandwidth for VOIP, streaming service & popular websites.
Still a little fuzzy about what a FlashRouter does? Check out this handy video (this came out in 2013 too)!
Most Popular Wireless VPN Router of 2013
No matter how many new Wireless-AC VPN Routers we added in the past year, with their dizzying speeds and tremendous performing power, it would seem nothing could unseat the much-beloved Cisco Linksys E4200 DD-WRT FlashRouter. But we think this time next year, a new king of the hill will finally be crowned.
Yes, the E4200 held strong, as did the towering Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Tomato router, but our first DD-WRT Wireless-AC router did make it’s way to the number three position (possibly because it’s been around longer). We’ll see what the coming year has in store for these excellent devices, but for now, here’s to the E4200!
- Cisco Linksys E4200 N750 DD-WRT VPN Router– Best Overall DD-WRT Router
- Asus RT-N66U N900 Dark Knight Tomato WiFi Router – Best Overall Tomato Router
- Asus RT-AC66U Wireless-AC1750 DD-WRT Router – Our first Wireless-AC FlashRouter with an amazing price!
- Cisco Linksys E2500 Tomato Router – The most affordable dual band Tomato firmware option at under $100.
- Cisco Linksys E1200 N300 DD-WRT Router – Our economy, do-it-all model. Popular as a wireless repeater or client bridge.
- Asus RT-AC66U Tomato OpenVPN Router – For those looking for next generation Wireless-AC support with full OpenVPN support.
- Cisco Linksys E4200 Tomato Router – The Tomato version of a popular favorite.
- Asus RT-N16 DD-WRT – The long-standing DD-WRT classic single band with external antennas.
- Netgear WNDR3700 N600 DD-WRT Router – A great mid-range choice for heavy users of streaming HD video.
- Cisco Linksys E1200 Tomato VPN Router – The newly added OpenVPN economy option.
Most Popular VPN Service Providers in 2013 – By User Request
As we mentioned above, we added a lot of VPNs to our supported provider list in this past year, and boy, is that reflected on the list of most popular VPN router service provider set-ups. About half of the list were not supported providers at the beginning of this year!
Nonetheless, the old guard held down the top slots. Maybe that will change in due time, but for now, people still can’t get enough of the tremendous US & UK server selection offered by HideMyAss. So congratulations to them! Here’s to a great 2014 with all of them!
- HideMyAss – Top overall US & UK server choices.
- PrivateInternetAccess – Best budget VPN service.
- Overplay – Easiest setup for your DD-WRT router and utilizing OpenVPN.
- IPVanish – Offers some of the fastest L1 server speeds worldwide, and popular in the Middle East.
- IVPN – Top VPN service provider for privacy-minded citizens, foreign journalists, human rights activists, etc.
- EarthVPN – An affordable addition with excellent worldwide VPN coverage, starting around 5 per month.
- CyberGhost – Most popular European VPN, especially in Germany.
- VPNSecure.Me – Popular Australian-based VPN provider with excellent support.
- Proxy.sh – A newcomer to the list, rising fast due to their excellent worldwide server selection.
The FlashRouters Difference
As we’ve demonstrated above, there are a lot of features on our devices waiting for a user to come along and take advantage of them, but some of these features may require a bit more technical expertise than your average user necessarily has. We want our customers getting the most out of their devices; that’s why we offer:
- An extensively tested version of DD-WRT or Tomato firmware will be flashed on your router.
- Personalized Custom Configuration & Setup Guide: A FlashRouter configuration specialist will personally contact you to tailor your new router to your networking plans if you don’t tell us in your order comments.
- Dual VPN Router Network Setup – Your router will be configured to work by itself or in tandem with your current service provider modem/router out-of-the-box so that you can establish a VPN dedicated router/access point.
- Free VPN Service Integration: We offer setup guides for just about every VPN service, including: OverPlayVPN, Hide MyAss, IPVanish, PrivateInternetAccess, StrongVPN, ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, VyprVPN, plus many more.
- Fast, affordable worldwide shipping via USPS.