We were over the moon when we added our first Wireless-AC DD-WRT router to our line. How could we not be? Wireless-AC just about doubled the speed of our fastest routers, and when we flashed replacement firmware as reliably excellent as DD-WRT onto a Wireless-AC device, we knew we were dealing with a whole new level of router.
So we can barely contain our excitement as we tell you that we’ve now added our first Wireless-AC Tomato FlashRouter to our line. Meet the Asus RT-AC66U Tomato Firmware FlashRouter, one of the most popular Wireless-AC routers that combines the blazing speeds of Wireless-AC with the tremendous power of the superior Asus hardware.
The Asus RT-AC66U Specs
Much like what we told you about the Asus RT-AC66U DD-WRT FlashRouter, the Wireless-AC Tomato version of this router contains much of the same specs as the Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Tomato router.
The Asus RT-N66U is a top contender for the best Tomato router (though we’ll have to rethink the order of that list now that we have a Wireless-AC Tomato router), and the RT-AC66U doesn’t mess with an already winning formula. This dual-band beauty similarly offers a 600 MHz Broadcom processor, three powerful external antennas for maximum WiFi range, and 2 USB ports for networking printers and backup drives!
Of course, there’s much more to the Asus RT-AC66U, and we will get into that in the sections below.
What is Wireless-AC
The real star of the show here is the Wireless-AC. Wireless-N and Wireless-G have certainly served users well over the years, and there are plenty of high-quality Wireless-N and Wireless-G routers on the market (many of which are offered by FlashRouters *wink), but in terms of sheer speed, Wireless-AC blows them all out of the water.
Wireless-G signal capacity maxes out at 54 Mbps and Wireless-N can range from 450 to 900 Mbps. Wireless-AC, on the other hand, can reach 1750 Mbps, almost doubling Wireless-N’s capacity on its best day!
Waiting for pages or streaming videos to load can become a thing of the past if you have the best Wireless-AC Tomato router in your corner. Which brings us to Tomato firmware…
Advantages of a Tomato Firmware Upgrade
With the Asus RT-AC66U, you’re getting a guaranteed powerful router, arguably the best WiFi AC router, and one that leaves all of its competitors in the dust in terms of speed. So you might think that’s enough to expect out of a router, but at FlashRouters, we feel like there’s always more you can get out of your device.
That’s why we flash the Asus RT-AC66U with Tomato firmware. This replacement firmware is used to take a router and basically supercharge it, allowing the user to expand it’s capabilities in remarkable ways. Expanding your wireless range, accessing advanced security options, and controlling your bandwidth allocation are just a few of the ways Tomato firmware works to amplify your router’s power.
Here’s an abbreviated (if you can believe it) list of the additional benefits of Tomato firmware:
- Fixes known bugs in Broadcom-based Linksys/Asus firmware
- Improved network stability with Network Status Info: Uptime, load average, and free memory status
- Advanced access restrictions for increased network security
- Integrated Wireless Survey page: View other wireless networks in your area and adjust your network accordingly
- A more user-friendly router Ajax-based Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- Bandwidth graphing/statistics: real-time, last 24 hours, daily, monthly
- NAT (Network Address Translation) support
- Adjustable Antenna Transmission Settings: Antenna selection with 14 wireless channels available
- Wake-on-LAN remote network access
- Advanced Wireless modes: access point (AP), wireless client station (STA), wireless ethernet (WET) bridge, wireless distribution system (WDS aka wireless bridging), simultaneous AP and WDS (aka wireless repeating)
- Dynamic DNS service integration: ezUpdate and other providers
- Advanced port forwarding: Create port forwards, redirects and triggers with included UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) page to view and delete UPnP
Certainly some of these benefits are a bit advanced for your average user, but this list goes to show you; a Tomato router is a device loaded with possibilities for novices and experts alike!
The FlashRouters Advantage
Every FlashRouter we ship is flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware and repeatedly tested by our expert technicians to ensure our customer’s complete satisfaction.
And though FlashRouters are designed to be easy to install, every RT-AC66U Tomato Router comes with three months of free Premium FlashRouters tech support as well as a 90-day warranty for Tomato firmware installations on your Tomato router. Our friendly and helpful staff are ready to help you with any issues you might be experiencing at any time.
Follow us on Twitter @flashrouters or “Like Us” on Facebook for the latest routers updates, FlashRouter product additions, advanced notice of coupons and deals, network security information and much more!