(This model is discontinued and is no longer available. You can see a complete list of Tomato routers we offer here.)
In a field of heavy wireless networking competition, the Cisco Linksys E4200 stands among the best and most popular available routers in the open source community today.
FlashRouters is happy to include this premium product among our merchandise, but it wouldn’t be a FlashRouters if we didn’t add our personal touch, turning what is already one of the best routers into something extraordinary.
The Linksys E4200 DD-WRT has long been our best and most popular overall routers. As part of the recent relaunch of our site, we are excited to now offer the Linksys E4200 Tomato FlashRouter with an alternate open-source firmware option, the powerful TomatoUSB firmware creating one of the best tomato routers available today.
Cisco Linksys E4200 Router Specs
Before we get into how we improve of the best wireless routers available, let’s tell you a bit about the standard Linksys E4200 itself.
For adaptability, dependability, range, and a myriad of other factors, the Cisco Linksys E4200 router is hard to beat. As a dual-band WiFi device, the Linksys E4200 FlashRouter offers two separate access points that work at the same time – the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band – which helps minimize wireless interference from other wireless devices you or surround neighbors may be utilizing.
Equipped with 8 internal antennas, as well as a full 3×3 antenna array, the E4200 maximized your capabilities of your wireless Internet connection for super-fast signal speed (up to 750 Mbps, or 300 + 450) and broad wireless coverage.
Added Benefits of a TomatoUSB Firmware Upgrade
And here’s where we come in. FlashRouters upgrades this already highly functional router by flashing it with a fully featured TomatoUSB open-source firmware turning the powerful E4200 into a powerhouse. One of the best Tomato routers is now available right out of the box for delivery worldwide.
Using upgraded firmware that can handle larger streams of traffic and allows you more control over your bandwidth means streaming videos from Netflix, Vudu, Crackle, Amazon Instant Video, and Hulu without spending long stretches of time buffering. You’ll also find that your online gaming experience will improve drastically without constant freezing or stalling.
The advantages of Tomato firmware flashed on an E4200 are plentiful but to give you an idea here’s a few:
- Known bug fixes in Broadcom-based Linksys firmware.
- Improved Network Stability & Network Status Information.
- Advanced Wireless modes: access point (AP), wireless client station (STA), wireless Ethernet (WET) bridge, wireless distribution system (WDS aka wireless bridging), simultaneous AP and WDS (aka wireless repeating)
- Adjustable Antenna Transmission Settings for more powerful WiFi strength.
- A user-friendly router Ajax-based GUI (Graphical User Interface).
- OpenVPN & PPTP VPN connections integration.
- Advanced access restrictions capabilities for increased network security.
- DHCP server: Using Dnsmasq with dynamic and static DHCP leases.
- Informative Bandwidth graphing/statistics: real-time, daily, monthly.
- Advanced QoS: 10 unique QoS classes defined, real-time pie graph display of prioritized traffic with drilldown into class details.
- Integrated Wireless Survey page: View other wireless networks in your area to inform you how to adjust your network accordingly.
- Advanced port forwarding: Create port forwards, redirects, & triggers with included UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) page to view and delete UPnP forwarded port mapping.
- NAT (Network Address Translation) support.
- Wake-on-LAN remote network access.
- DNS forwarder: Using Dnsmasq with local hostnames, local domain names, and caching of internet addresses.
- JFFS2 / CIFS client.
- Dynamic DNS service integration.
Now that was a mouthful! But with better firmware, the upgrades truly are abundant and the options are practically limitless.
OpenVPN & PPTP on the E4200 Tomato Router
Of course, like any FlashRouter, the E4200 flashed with Tomato firmware includes VPN-integration for OpenVPN & PPTP. Should you choose to subscribe to a VPN Service Provider, this router will save you time and effort on installation, allowing you to enjoy the fruits of VPN subscription (increased security, the ability to stream regionally restricted content from anywhere in the world) as soon as possible and with minimal difficulty.
One of the most popular reasons to choose a open-source Tomato router is OpenVPN support. Due to continuous complications and setup issues, the only recommended & FlashRouters supported method to connect to the popular OpenVPN protocol with HideMyAss and PrivateInternetAccess is with a Tomato router from FlashRouter.
And with a router upgraded with Tomato firmware, you can go with the dual router setup, using your one router for your local internet setup, and adding the E4200 Tomato Router as your dedicated VPN connection gateway. This allows you to separate your internet activity between, let’s say, your home usage and perhaps your small business usage.
The FlashRouters Guarantee
As we mentioned above, a FlashRouter advanced technician will personally every E4200 Tomato FlashRouter we ship out from flashing the Tomato firmware to testing and configuration, thus preventing you from spending hours trying to work your way through complicated setups, only to end up bricking your high-end networking centerpiece.
And though an easy setup guide is included with each of our routers to simplify the installation, all FlashRouters offers free online tech support as well as a warranty for Tomato firmware installations.
Follow us on Twitter @flashrouters or “Like Us” on Facebook for the latest routers updates, FlashRouter product additions, advanced notice of coupons and deals, network security information and much more!