It is finally August. If you are a fan of European football, this is more than likely your favorite time of the year. August is when the UK Premier League, Spain’s La Liga, Germany’s Bundesliga, Italy’s Serie A, and France’s Ligue 1 all take off. However, if you are outside of Europe, you may have some difficulty streaming the matches of your favorite teams. This is due to the fact different streaming services have geo-regional rights for broadcasting the games. Furthermore, this means football matches are not available worldwide. Fear not, FlashRouters has the best VPNs for football streaming!
Table Of Contents
What is a Virtual Private Network and Why Do I Need One?
Before we delve into the best VPNs for football streaming, we should discuss what a Virtual Private Network is and why it is pertinent to use one. Subscribing to a VPN service like IPVanish or ExpressVPN allows users to change their geo-location by routing their traffic through a remote server. For instance, if you are in the United States but are connected to a VPN server in the United Kingdom, your connection will appear as if you are in the UK.
If you are looking to connect to a streaming service that only allows traffic from a certain geo-region, a VPN can help solve the issue. Simply connect to a VPN server in that area, and the streaming service will read your traffic as if it is coming from that location.
The Best VPNs For Football Streaming
- NordVPN – Use over 4,700 servers from 62 countries around the world. Pay using bitcoin for maximum security. No logging and military grade AES 256-bit encryption!
- ExpressVPN – Over 2,000 VPN servers in 148 server locations in 94 countries. Unlimited bandwidth, speed, and server switches. Recommended VPN service for China.
- HideMyAss – Connect to a VPN server in seconds. Automatically chooses the least loaded server in a location to ensure top speeds.
- IPVanish – No logs! Own and operate their own servers. Over 40,000 IPs on 1,000+ servers in more than 60 countries! Recommended VPN service for the Middle East, including UAE, Qatar, & Dubai.
- PrivateInternetAccess – Most popular economy VPN service for strapped college students. Utilizes the cryptographically secure blowfish CBC algorithm.
- IVPN – Uses multiple VPN servers to secure your connection for the best anonymity. Low subscriber-per-server ratio to ensure peak performance.
Where Are UK Soccer Leagues Streaming?
The 2018-19 season of the English Premier League began last Friday, August 10th with Manchester United winning 2:1 against Leicester City. This season should be exciting. After Manchester City’s stellar campaign last season, which saw them lose only twice during the course of the season, they are favorites to retain the title. The Premier League season ends on May 12, 2019.
NBC Sports holds video broadcast rights in the USA for the Premier League. Furthermore, NBC Sports will air all 380 matches each season on channels and platforms across their network.
Here’s a list of where you can watch the UK Premier League according to each country:
- NBC Sports App
- UNIVERSO NOW
- NBC Sports Gold
- Sky Sports
- BT Sport
- BBC (highlights through Match of the Day)
Due to Article 48 of the UEFA Statutes, matches that have a kick-off between 2:45 PM and 5:15 PM will not be broadcast in the UK. This extends to all matches.
- TSN allows you to access matches through its TSN Go app.
- Sportsnet customers will have access to 190 matches through their app, which is available through:
- Xbox store
- Optus Streams.
- Optus will broadcast every single match, both on the TV and via stream, via the Optus Sports package. The Optus Sports Package is available for free until August 31.
- SBS Australia.
- SBS is showing one game per week, at least for the first seven weeks, starting with Newcastle United vs Tottenham on Saturday at 7:30 AM EST. Fans who want to access the games from non-TV devices will have to download their World Cup app to view them.
- Liverpool, Manchester United, and Chelsea fans will have access to match replays through dedicated channels on the Foxtel App.
- SFR, a subsidiary of the Altice Group
- Available on TV, mobile phone, tablets, and more.
United Arab Emirates
- beIN Sports has exclusive rights to broadcast the Premier League.
Where Are Spanish Soccer Leagues Streaming?
The Spanish football league La Liga begins its season on Friday, August 17th, with Girona vs. Real Valladolid at 2:15 PM EST (8:15 PM local time). Last season saw Barcelona pick up its 25th crown under the guidance of Ernesto Valverde, despite selling Neymar to PSG. This season Messi, Suarez, Coutinho, et al., will hope to add their 26th La Liga title to their trophy vault, despite the retirement of midfield talisman Andres Iniesta and the transfer of midfielder Paulinho. The season ends on May 26, 2019.
Here’s how to watch La Liga from around the world:
beIN Sports is the exclusive television broadcaster of La Liga in the United States. Subscribers of the following providers can access beIN Sports. Connect for free as part of their subscription:
- While fuboTV is a great option to stream soccer and TV, a monthly subscription starts at $39.99 per month and goes up to $44.99 per month thereafter.
- AT&T U-verse
- Atlantic Broadband
- Bright House Networks
- Cox Communications
- Optimum TV
- Time Warner Cable
- Verizon FiOS
Eleven Sports has exclusive rights for broadcasting La Liga, after Sky’s decision not to renew their contract with La Liga. The company says that it hopes to launch its app in August of 2018. Once it does, fans can access streams through Eleven’s website, the Apple Store, and the Android Store. Eleven Sports plans to stream one match a week on Facebook.
beIN Sports has exclusive rights for broadcasting La Liga. BeIN Sports Canada is available through:
- Rogers Cable (premium package)
- Shaw Cable (extra package)
- Bell TV (add-on)
- Sky Sports Mexico
- Televisa Deports Network (TDN)
- beIN Sports has exclusive rights to broadcast La Liga.
- DAZN has exclusive rights to all La Liga matches until the end of the 2020-2021 season.
- beIN Sports and Hong Kong’s Now TV (part of PCCW Media) reached an agreement to broadcast La Liga on a co-branded channel. The deal last through the 2022-2023 season.
- PPTV is the only stream available for La Liga.
- beIN Sports has exclusive rights to show La Liga games. You can access beIN Sports thorough Foxtel, FetchTV.
United Arab Emirates
- beIN Sports has exclusive rights to broadcast La Liga.
Where Are German Soccer Leagues Streaming?
The 2018-19 season for Germany’s Bundesliga league begins on August 24th. Bayern Munich opens the season, hosting TSG Hoffenheim at the Allianz Arena at 2:30 PM EST (8:30 local time). Bayern hopes to make it their 7th title in a row, this time under new manager Niko Kovac. Lead scorer Robert Lewandowski impressed the German Super Cup against Eintracht Frankfurt, scoring a hat-trick. Last year, the striker scored 29 goals in 30 appearances, while his nearest rival, Nils Peterson, netted 15. Bayern’s roster has stayed mostly the same, with key players like Muller, Neuer, Robben, and Boateng, all in place, not to mention plenty of young players ready to take on new challenges. The club has also retained the services of winger James Rodrigues for the second year of his 2-year loan. The Bundesliga season will end on May 19th, 2019.
Here’s how to watch the Bundesliga league:
- FOX networks and its subsidiaries will be streaming the Bundesliga until 2020. This includes:
- Fox Soccer 1, 2 & Plus
- It will also be available for mobile streaming on Fox Sports Go and of course, Fox Soccer Match Pass.
- For Spanish speakers, Fox Deportes will also be available
- Univision Deportes (2017-2020)
- Galavision (2017-2020)
- Univision (2017-2020)
- UniMás (2017-2020)
- Univision Deportes En Vivo (2017-2020)
- Univision NOW (2017-2020)
- Sling Blue
Currently, BTSport is contracted to show Bundesliga matches. The current agreement is in place until 2021. BTSport is available on:
SportsNet will be streaming all 306 games, as well as their weekly highlights show. Their current deal gives SportsNet exclusive broadcasting rights until 2020. In Canada, SportsNet is available through:
beIN Sports has broadcasting rights of Bundesliga through the 2020 season. There are a few ways to access beIN:
- Satelite: Foxtel
- Cable: Foxtel
- IPTV: FetchTV
- Sky Deutschland
- DAZN offers a highlight package
- Fox Sports Asia
- PCCW (through its Now TV) offer streaming coverage
IbeIN Sports has exclusive coverage rights to Bundesliga coverage in France as well as the United Arab Emirates.
Where Are Italian Soccer Leagues Streaming?
The Italian football league Serie A begins on August 18th. The season begins as Juventus take on Chievo. The match will be played at the Marcantonio Bentegodi in Verona at 12 PM EST (6:00 PM local time). Juventus’s acquisition of Cristiano Ronaldo was one of the biggest events of the summer transfer season. Fans will be waiting to see whether CR7’s stellar form at Real Madrid (450 goals in 438 appearances) can be continued with the Old Lady. He joins players like Paolo Dybala, Mario Mandzukic, Emre Can, Leonardo Bonucci, and Sami Khedira. The season will end on May 26th, 2019.
Here’s how to stream Serie A from anywhere:
- Rai Italia America
- ESPN (announced August 8)
- ESPN Deportes/ ESPN Deportes+
- Watch ESPN
- According to the agreement. ESPN+ will stream more than 340 games
United Kingdom & Ireland
Eleven Sports has exclusive rights for streaming Serie A in the UK and Ireland. However, just as with La Liga, Eleven is looking to sub-license certain games to other providers, thanks to its partnership with IMG, a global sports media group.
- DAZN will stream 114 matches over the course of the season, for the next three seasons, including:
- One Saturday evening match
- Two Sunday matches
- Three games during the middle of the week
- Sky Italia.
- Sky will stream 226 games over the course of the season
- beIN Sports will provide coverage of the games
- DAZN Sports will cover Serie A
- beIN Sports will provide coverage of the games, according to a deal that was signed in June 2018. The deal runs through the 2021 season
United Arab Emirates
- beIN Connect will provide coverage of Serie A
Where Are France’s Soccer Leagues Streaming?
France’s Ligue 1 opened on August 10th 2018, with Marseille routing Toulouse 4:0. Last year’s winner, PSG, is expected to cruise to the title for an eighth straight time. Edinson Cavani and world record-signing Neymar, are joined by Juventus legend Gianluigi Buffon and French winger Kylian Mbappe (bought from Monaco). However, Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique de Marseille could mount a formidable challenge. Ligue 1’s season ends on May 25th, 2019.
- beIN Sports
- Sling TV
UK viewers can access matches through BT Sport, which they can access through a subscription to:
Furthermore, beIN Sports will also be streaming Ligue 1 matches in Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, and UAE.
- DAZN Sports will provide coverage for France’s Ligue 1
- Le Sports
- CCTV will broadcast two matches from each round of play, as well as all the beIN highlights shows
If you are geo-blocked to access any of the above stations, using a Virtual Private Network will allow you to change your location and watch European football from anywhere.
As all of the games are available to stream in the United States, using a VPN provider like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, or IPVanish will allow you to easily access a US server and stream the matches from your favorite teams.
Services like fuboTV or DAZN sports can cost anywhere from $9.99 per month to $44.99 per month. A VPN subscription from PrivateInternetAccess can cost as little as $2.91 per month, allowing for unprecedented access to your favorite sports and content!
Better yet, you can take advantage of using a FlashRouter. With a FlashRouter, you can create a VPN WiFi network in your home, encrypting all connected devices. Not all devices have native VPN support. However, a FlashRouter (like the WRT3200ACM pictured above) will allow you to change the geo-location on any connected device.
Please check into this post for more updates on streaming European Football.
Have a question? Contact us.